Information about Shakespeare:
1. Born – 23 April 1564
2. Died – 23 April 1616
3. A poet and playwright of – Elizabethan period
4. Mostly known for his – plays
5. He is called the national poet of – England
6. He is also called – the ‘Bard of Avon’
7. He is known as – Poet of human nature
8. Alfred Tennyson called him –The Dazzling Sun
9. He is the -- Father of English Drama
10. The number of his plays – 37
11. The number of his sonnets –154
12. The number of his long narrative poems –2
13. The number of his epitaphs –2,
14. His swan song / last work was –The Tempest
15. Wife – Anne Hathaway
16. He married in 18 years old
Shakespeare’s 37 plays are divided into three types:
1. Tragedy 2. Comedy 3. History
Antony and Cleopatra , Cymbeline , Coriolanus , Hamlet , Julius Caesar , King Lear , Macbeth, Othello, Romeo Juliet, Timon of Athens , Titus Andronicus ,Troilus and Cressida
A Midsummer Night’s Dream , All’s Well That Ends Well , As You Like It, Comedy of Errors . Love’s Lovers Lost , Measure for Measure , Merchant of Venice, Merry Wives of Windsor, Much Ado About Nothing , Pericles, Prince of Tale , Taming of the Shrew , Tempest, Twelfth Nights , Two Gentlemen of Verona, Winter’s Tale
Henry-IV, Henry-V, Henry-VI, Henry-VIII, King John, Richard-II, Richard-III
Previous BCS Questions about Shakespeare;
1. What is the last play of Shakespeare? [37th BCS]
2. Shakespeare composed much of his plays in which sort of verse? [37th BCS]
Ans: Iambic pentameter
3. ‘Othelo’ gave Desdemona ………..as a token of love. [37th BCS]
4. "Frailty thy name is women" is a famous dialogue form…….? [36th BCS]
Ans: W. Shakespeare.
5. Shakespeare's "Measure for Measure" is a successful…….? [36th BCS]
6. The Merchant of Venice is a Shakespeare play about…….? [36th BCS]
Ans: A Jew
7. "To be or not to be that is the question "-is a famous dialogue from….? [35th BCS]
8. ‘Othello’ is a Shakespeare's play about……? [35th BCS]
Ans: A Moor
9. Who wrote the plays, "The Tempest "and" The Mid Summer Night's Dream"? [29th BCS]
10. “To be or not to be, that is the…..” [29th BCS]
11. Shakespeare is known mostly for his ……? [16th BCS]
Information about Wordsworth
1. Wordsworth was a romantic poet.
2. He was called poet of nature
3. He and S. T. Coleridge jointly published ‘Lyrical Ballads’ in 1798.
4. Romantic age began with the publication of ‘Lyrical Ballads’ in 1798.
5. He became poet laureate in 1843.
6. He was greatly inspired by French Revolution in 1789.
7. He believed in Pantheism ( ঈশ্বর সর্ববিরাজমান)
Wordsworth’s notable works;
The Prelude, Tintern abbey, Ode on Intimidations of Immortality, Daffodils
Essay : Lyrical ballads
The Solitary Reaper, The Excursion, A Complaint, Ode to Duty, My Heart Leaps Up, To the Cuckoo, The Recluse, Lucy, Michael, Written in March,
Previous BCS Questions about Wordsworth;
1. The romantic age in English Literature began with the publication of ………..? [36th BCS]
Ans: Preface to Lyrical Ballad. (Written by William Wordsworth & S. T. Coleridge)
2. Who is the known as "the poet of nature"? [36th BCS]
Ans: W. Wordsworth
3. Who wrote the poem "The Solitary Reaper"? [36th BCS]
Ans: W. Wordsworth.
4. Who wrote the following lines, "All at once I saw a crowd, a host of golden daffodils”? [35th BCS]
Ans: W. Wordsworth.
5.Wordsworth introduced the reader's --- a new kind of poetry. Fill in the gap. [31st BCS]
Information about S. T. Coleridge:
1. Samuel Taylor Coleridge was addicted to Opium.
2. He was known as ‘The Poet of Supernaturalism’
3. S.T. Coleridge and Wordsworth jointly published –Lyrical Ballad
4. Two famous quotations of Lyrical Ballad – a. Imagination is the soul of poetic genius b. Poetry is the first and last of all knowledge
S. T. Coleridge’s notable works;
The Rime of the Ancient Mariner, Kubla Khan, Biographia Literaria, Dejection: An Ode, Christabel, A Christmas Carol, Fears in Solitude, The Nightingale: A Conversation Poem
Previous BCS Questions about Coleridge;
1. Who wrote ‘’Biographia Literaria’’? [37th BCS]
Ans: S.T. Coleridge
Learn English To Communicate With Foreigner (LETCWF)
2.The romantic age in English Literature began with the publication of ………..? [36th BCS]
Ans: Preface to Lyrical Ballad.
3. The Literary work "Kubla Khan" is…..? [13th BCS]
Ans: A verse by Coleridge
Join here to get more important post
>> Learn English To Communicate With Foreigner (LETCWF)
4. Which of the following writer's
to the romantic period in English Literature? [36th BCS]
(a) A. Tennyson (b) Alexander Pope (c) John Dryden (d) S. T. Coleridge
Ans: S. T. Coleridge.